Aunt Elaine's Apple Cinnamon Baked French Toast
We asked our Bed Bath & Beyond associates for their best holiday recipes, and found some amazing new dishes from around the country. We tested them with a panel of experts and picked the cream of the crop for you!
Submitted by: Diane K. - Phoenix, AZ
Testers say: “Really Good! Liked it a lot. Definite crowd pleaser.”
- 1 - 1 1/2 loaf French Bread (baguette)
- 8 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Ginger
- Pinch of Cloves
- 1 tablespoon of butter, cut in pea sized pieces
- 5-6 medium cooking apples (Gala)
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Slice bread into 1 ½-inch thick slices and tightly pack into pan.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla until blended and pour half the milk/egg mixture over the bread.
- Peel, core and slice apples and arrange half of the apple slices (in rows) on top of the bread.
- Mix together the remaining sugar (1/2 cup), cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves and sprinkle half of the mixture over the apples. Arrange remaining apple slices on top of the cinnamon mixture.
- Pour the remaining milk/egg mixture over the apples and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Dot with butter, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. It will rise high and brown.
- Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.