Broccoli with Garlic, Ginger and Toasted Almonds
Simple steamed broccoli gets dressed up with fragrant flavor and a little crunch in this variation on everyone’s go-to vegetable.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 3⁄4 pounds), cut into florets, tough part of stems cut off with a knife, stems cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons sliced toasted almonds
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, preferably kosher or sea salt
- Put a steamer basket over 1-inch water in a large deep skillet or large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli; cover and steam until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. (If making ahead, rinse broccoli with cold water, drain and refrigerate up to 1 day.)
- Heat oil in the same skillet or pot. Add garlic, ginger and salt; cook, stirring over medium-low heat until garlic is light golden and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and toss over low heat until hot.
- Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds.