Cider Braised Kale Ribbons with Cranberries & Walnuts
This colorful mix of kale, cranberries, and walnuts makes a beautiful and healthy side for holiday meals. Brown sugar and cider lend a light sweetness to this unique veggie side dish.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 mintues
Yield: 4 cups (serves 6-8)
- 2 lb bunch lacinato or dinosaur kale, washed
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced shallot
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 3 TB apple cider or water
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Remove center rib from kale leaves.
- Roll up leaves and thinly slice crosswise.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add shallot and salt and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-10 minutes or until shallot is softened and beginning to brown.
- Toss in kale and add vinegar, cider, brown sugar, and cranberries.
- Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until kale begins to wilt.
- Serve warm garnished with toasted walnuts.