Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
A perfect first course for a holiday meal. Rich, creamy, indulgent and because you can use pre-sliced mushrooms it’s so very easy to make (which is so important during the crazy-busy holiday time of year!).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 cups
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, (white part only), quartered lengthwise, rinsed well, and thinly sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 1/4 pounds sliced, assorted mushrooms (such as button, Baby Bella and shitake mushroom caps)
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or tawny port
- 4 cups reduced sodium or regular chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add leek; cook stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms; increase heat to medium-high and sauté until mushrooms release their liquid and cook down, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and sherry; cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Whisk cream and flour in a bowl until blended. Stir into soup and return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with pepper to taste.