Crispy Roasted Chick Peas
The classic Tuscan flavors of fennel and rosemary flavor these addictive high-fiber snacks which are great to serve with drinks at a holiday cocktail party. They also make an awesome healthy snack for kids who would normally stay away from beans! Also great addition to salads or sprinkled over soup as a healthy substitution for croutons. They’re so versatile you might want to double the recipe and make a big batch!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.
- Spread the chick peas on top and let them dry for 15 minutes.
- Remove paper towels from underneath chick peas.
- Pat the chick peas dry with additional towels and discard any loose skins.
- Drizzle chick peas with 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat and spread out on baking sheet.
- Roast 20 minutes, tossing once.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Sprinkle with fennel seeds and rosemary; toss.
- Roast 12 to 18 minutes, stirring once until dried, golden and crisp.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet on a wire rack.
- To serve, transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with the seeds and rosemary remaining on bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle with additional sea salt if desired.
- Be sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container so they keep crisp.