Spicy-Sweet Gingered Butternut Squash Bisque
Butternut squash pairs beautifully with spicy ginger in this rich and creamy soup. Try it topped with shaved fresh parmesan cheese as suggested here or with a swirl of heavy cream for a pretty presentation.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 pounds whole butternut squash (approximately 14 cups cubed)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Heat butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1 teaspoon salt and sauté, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Add butternut squash, chicken stock, and water to pot. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 30 minutes or until squash is extremely tender.
- Add cream and remaining 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt to pot. Working in batches, carefully puree soup in blender (or use an immersion blender directly in the pot).
- Ladle bisque into soup bowls, garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon parmesan shavings, and serve.
- Note: A sharp peeler works well for making parmesan curls. Can be made up to 4 days ahead and reheated when ready to serve. Leftovers freeze well.
- Use a microplane to make quick work of mincing fresh ginger. In a pinch use bottled minced ginger and pre-cut butternut squash cubes. If you like your soup thicker simply omit the additional 2 cups of water when preparing.