Herb-Roasted Root Vegetables
Roasting veggies brings out their delicious sweetness and a sprinkling of fresh herbs adds just the right touch to complement, but not overpower their goodness.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 3 1/4 cups)
- 3 large turnips, (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into bite-size chunks (about 3 cups)
- 4 large parsnips (about 10 ounces), peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 large red onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Line a large, heavy rimmed baking pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Spread vegetables on prepared pan; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Grind pepper over top.
- Toss to coat vegetables with oil and spread out into an even layer.
- Roast 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with thyme and rosemary; toss.
- Roast 10 minutes longer or until light golden in spots and tender.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl.