How to Brine and Twine
Brine and twine, they don't just rhyme—they go together like salt & pepper, Heckle & Jeckle, or Thanksgiving and being full. Not to mention they are easily two of the most important steps you can take to ensure turkey success.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: Makes enough brine for one turkey
- 1/2 gallon apple juice
- 1 gallon water
- 2 Tablespoons each dried sage and rosemary
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and cut in quarters
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes partly covered.
- Allow brine to cool completely.
- Put rinsed turkey (without the bag of giblets, etc.) into a brining bag or non-reactive pot and add the cooled brine.
- Seal bag or cover pot and refrigerate 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry and roast.