Orange-Cornmeal Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce
Serve as an elegant dessert in a pool of delicious raspberry sauce or on its own as part of a breakfast or brunch. Or why not make a few loaves and give as holiday gifts?
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for flouring pan
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda and salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon orange juice
- Raspberry Sauce:
- 1 bag (12-ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Line bottom with parchment or wax paper.
- Coat paper with no-stick spray; dust pan with flour to coat.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, and salt in a medium bowl, until blended.
- Beat butter, sugar, orange zest and juice in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until blended.
- With mixer on low, alternately beat in flour mixture and yogurt and milk just until batter is smooth.
- Scrape into prepared pan; level top with a spatula.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack 5 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and let cool until warm.
- Meanwhile to make the glaze, stir confectioners’ sugar and orange juice in a small bowl until smooth.
- Spoon and spread glaze over top of warm pound cake.
- Let cool until glaze sets.
- To make the sauce, stir berries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture comes to boil.
- Simmer 1 minute or until berries have softened.
- Strain through a sieve, pressing on solids to extract as much juice and pulp as possible.
- Cover and chill until using.
- To serve, spoon sauce on dessert plates and top with sliced pound cake.
- Garnish with mint if desired.