Pear Ginger Upside Down Cake
This is a cake that will impress your guests…only you will know how easy it is to make. The leftovers are great for breakfast the next day -- if it lasts that long.
Prep Time: n/a
Cook Time: 60-65 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2-3 large firm pears peeled (Anjou is a good choice) sliced thinly
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter at room temp
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs large
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Pre heat oven to 350
- Over medium heat melt the butter and light brown sugar together, stirring to combine.
- Pour the butter sugar mixture into a 9inch round and 2-inch high pan.
- Make tight concentric circles with the pear slices over the brown sugar mixture overlapping where needed.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon ground ginger and crystallized ginger and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer add the butter and sugar, and beat to combine.
- Next add the molasses and eggs one at a time.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, ground ginger cardamom, baking powder and salt.
- Turn the mixer on low and alternate between the flour and the buttermilk, mixing to combine, and scrapping the bowl to make sure everything is mixed well.
- Scrape the batter over the pears and place in the oven.
- Bake for 60 –65 minutes.