Roasted Turkey Breast Wrapped in Bacon & Sage
Skinless turkey breast is a much leaner choice than serving a whole turkey, but because it’s a lean meat it can sometimes cook up dry. We ensured juiciness by stuffing it with a flavorful filling of sautéed shallots, dried cranberries and thyme and wrapping the breast in turkey bacon.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon plus
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- divided 2 cups chopped shallots
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 boneless, skinless turkey breast half, about 2 1⁄4 pounds
- 12 large sage leaves 6 slices lower-sodium turkey bacon Fresh sage leaves, fresh currants and Champagne or red seedless grapes for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and tender, about 7 minutes. remove from heat and stir in cranberries, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a shallow roasting pan or a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil or regular foil coated with nonstick spray.
- Put turkey breast on cutting board and butterfly breast by slicing through center of breast horizontally but not going through the other side. open sliced breast like a book so it lays flat on cutting board.
- Put shallot mixture on top of breast and spread to within 1/2-inch of edges. Roll up breast starting at a longer side. Place seam-side down on pan. Lay sage leaves over top, then top with bacon slices, tucking ends under turkey to keep in place.
- Brush with remaining oil and grind additional pepper over top.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F when inserted into center of breast, about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before slicing.