Savory Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage & Sage
This delicious pairing of savory sausage and sweet cornbread perfectly complements your holiday turkey, ham, or even everyday roast chicken. It would make a delicious addition to a brunch buffet as well.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 10-12 servings
- 1 lb roll frozen bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 TB minced fresh sage
- 12 cups cubed cornbread (equivalent to 8 large corn muffins)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large baking pan or gratin.
- Cook sausage over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet, stirring often to break into small pieces, until beginning to brown.
- Remove sausage to a large bowl.
- Add onion and celery to skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add cooked onion, celery, sage, cornbread cubes, and walnuts to sausage.
- Combine eggs, chicken broth, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour over stuffing mixture and toss well to coat.
- Transfer stuffing mixture to prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes uncovered, or until top is beginning to brown and center is heated through.