Savory Stuffing with Mushrooms, Onions, and Walnuts
Fresh sage lends amazing flavor to day-old baguette in this classic stuffing preparation. Don’t leave out the walnuts! They give the final results a satisfying crunch.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh sage, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 ounces day-old baguette or Italian bread, cut into 1” cubes (approximately 3 quarts cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- Preheat oven to 350F. Melt butter in a large sauté pan and add onions, mushrooms, celery and 1 teaspoon salt. Sauté for 15–20 minutes, stirring often, until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated and vegetables are softened.
- Toss sautéed vegetables with bread cubes, fresh sage and walnuts. Combine eggs, chicken broth and remaining salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over bread mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Place stuffing in 2 medium or 1 large greased baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes to brown top.
- Note: Stuffing may be prepared and assembled up to 3 days before serving. Allow approximately 10 additional minutes of (covered) baking time.