Turkey Sausage, Apple, and Whole Grain Bread Stuffing
Everyone’s Thanksgiving favorite is usually the stuffing and this one will definitely not disappoint! It’s a much healthier version than the usual, using whole grain bread, lean turkey sausage and a fraction of the butter used in traditional stuffing recipes — but it has all the great flavor and texture.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound crusty whole grain bread, cut into cubes (8 cups)
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, removed from casings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oven to 350o F. Coat a shallow 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly toasted. remove from oven; leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up into chunks, until browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes. remove sausage to a large bowl.
- Add butter to skillet and melt over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, about 5 minutes.| Add apple, herbs, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until apple and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Pour into bowl with bread cubes.
- Drizzle broth over stuffing mixture and toss until evenly moistened. Pour into baking dish and cover with foil. (Can be made up to this point 1 day ahead and refrigerated).
- Bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes or until top is lightly toasted.